Friday, September 4, 2009

The discovery of the black gold

It's Toines birthday today! Now he's turning 24 years old!

I didn't have time to write a lot lately. On Tuesday my school started again. Not that it was anything to brag about, just some course introduction and registration. The next ten weeks we are going to write our bachelor degree essay (C-uppsats) which means we won't have many classes at campus, instead there is a lot of own work at home.

Wednesday was a lazy day for me. Since I've been so busy with mushroom picking and all those things I decided to just do the laundry and dry my mushrooms. You can dry them in the oven, just make sure that it doesn't rise over 50 C or else the mushrooms won't taste as nice. Keep the oven door slightly open for some circulation and have a thermometer in there so you know if it actually rises over 50 C. A digital one with a small extra receiver is always nice, then you can watch tv or whatever and just watch the monitor every now and then!

Thursday (yesterday) my mother, my sister and I took the train up to the country place and grandmother picked us up. The plan was to pick blueberries like maniacs, but I forgot my berrypicker at home so I didn't get as much as the rest of my family. But it's ok. Then we decided to pick some mushrooms at some new places. In the beginning it didn't go as planned. We didn't find any good places. And when we did find good places, we didn't find any mushrooms... We were quite disappointed, and hungry, so we thought ok...one more place. We get to a crossing and there is a field full of sheep nearby...me and my mother looks around, thinking about entering the forest to the left, but my grandmother thinks we should to to the right one. It looks small, and not very promising, but since we were all hungry we thought ok. Lets take the small one so we can get away from here and finally get some food.

After a little while both my mother and I find a few yellow chanterelles so we think ok...atleast there is a little bit of mushrooms here after all...so we go further. Under some pine trees I see a rare delicacy, 4-5 black trumpet mushrooms (Craterellus cornucopioides) The mushroom I have only seen 2 times before in my life, so this was the third time! I decide to not say anything to my mother, who is walking on the other side of the trees. It was no big deal. 4-5 ones you can't really do anything with anyway. I search forward a bit and find Autumn chanterelles (Cantharellus tubaeformis) which I start picking off. Then I hear my mother shout that she found some black trumpets. And I think why is she always the lucky one?! After a while I hear her scream! She screams uncontrollably and tells me to come over there and hurry! what do I see? The biggest field I have ever seen of black trumpets!!! And they are bigger than ever! My mother was nice and shared it with me. Her bucket was full anyway so I called my sister on the phone and asked her to come over with some paper bags. On the way, my sister found some more yellow chanterelles and she also found some black trumpets of her own!


The trumpets in the forest!

I've never in my life seen so many of them!

And I've never in my life seen so huge ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment