Sunday, September 27, 2009

Recovering

The procedure I went through on Friday went perfect according to the doctor. When I arrived I asked immediately for a pill to calm me down, and what I got was sent from heaven (Stesolid). All my nervous feelings were like blown away and I actually even started thinking that it was going to be quite interesting. I got there at 9.30 and at 12.15 they came and said it was my turn. At that time I was really hungry...

Anyway when down in the operation room I got some more Stesolid before they started preparing everything. This is a procedure where you have to be awake! They hooked me up with electrodes to the electrocardiogram to monitor the heart. they covered me up with blankets and sterile green sheets before the gave me local anaestethic in the groin. They sent up electrode catheters though the femural vein to the heart. They stimulated the heart in different ways to try and start the heart rushes i sometimes get and it felt like a god damn rodeo in my chest sometimes. When the stimulations stopped, it got so calm that I actually had to look at the monitor to see if If I really had a heartbeat hehe. Anyway they located a special type of AVNRT which basicly means that the impulses in the AV node sometimes circulates around causing the heart to beat twice as fast as normal. Its not a dangerous things, but it is uncomfortable. They decided to use cryoablation which means they locate the place where the impulses circulate and remove it by freezing it to -75 degrees, this will slowly kill the tissue and is a very safe method.

It took around 2,5 hours but it honestly did'nt feel that long. The doctor and the nurses were very nice and the doctor even showed me how the cryo ablation catheter worked. I wondered how he could keep it still inside the pumping heart and he said "have you ever tried licking on a frozen lightpole in -75 degrees? Your tongue would get quite frozen stuck" hahaha, its funny because its true.

After the procedure I had to lay completely flat for like 2 hours, and they put a large pressure bandage on me so that it wouldnt start bleding. Then I was allowed to lay in a 45 degree angle for like 2 hours, and they kept checking my blood pressure and bandage every 30 minutes. Then I was allowed to walk for 30 minutes and since it wasn't bleeding I was allowed home. I have no restrictions for my heart, I am concidered cured. However for the next week I'm not allwed to carry heavy things because they went into the large femural vein and it's a small risk that it might start bleeding until its completely healed. I feel completely fine except for a small pain in the groin :)

2 comments: