Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day 3: Wednesday

Woke up at 6am this time and had a lovely breakfast at some wooden benches by the river. It wasn’t as much lovely cause of the food, as it was because of the view. It was marvelous. High up in the mountains with a crystal clear river and a nice alpine birch forest. What’s so special about the alpine birch is it doesn’t grow straight, it grows in very odd patterns, twisted and curved. We journeyed on into Norway and kept going higher up the mountains. It was cloudy in the morning but the sun started peeking out later in the day. I took some pictures through the windshield that I made sure to clean properly before we left in the morning. So tired since I woke up in the middle of the night freezing like a [insert tropical animal here] on the North Pole, and as usual the pills against motion-sickness added to that feeling. We went up the mountains and down the valleys so much my eardrums thought about taking a permanent vacation but finally we were up on the last mountain. The camping place was in the valley below us. And oh what a sight! What a beautiful sight! To stand there high above the tree limit, 10 C in the air and piles of snow on the ground even though it was not below 0, and these beautiful snow covered mountains surrounding the whole horizon that was visible! I took way many pictures but the pictures will never do the area justice. We arrive at the camping place and it’s beautiful. The large river next to it, which is also the river my dad will fish in, is emerald green from glacial water. We parked the caravan at the perfect spot, and drove around to check out the area... I took many pictures again. I asked mom why the water was green, since some glacier water tends to be intense bright blue. My theory was that it must be high in copper content. Mom said it’s probably the trolls up on the mountains that pour color into it. Well mom usually knows her stuff, so I believed her. I had meatballs in brown sauce for dinner and took a nice shower to finally get all the mosquito legs out of my hair... So now I’m clean at least. On my way out of the showers I noticed a guy at the camping site caught a salmon, 14,8kg to be exact. Wow, it almost didn’t fit in the freezer box. It gave my dad, uncle and Günter great hopes and expectations on this place. When I came back to the caravan I found out I get to sleep in the large bed all by myself. From what I understood earlier, I was going to share the large bed with my mother, but that was not the case, which I am glad for. My mom and I watched an old movie called "the emperor of Portugallia" before we went to bed. It’s about 1am now and the sun has still not set. I’m going to read a bit in my book before I go to sleep. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment