Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Conserving mushrooms

As soon as I woke up today I prepared for conservation. The procedure goes as follows: First clean the surface you are going to use, if you have alcohol for disinfection purposes that is nice to use as well. Prepare a large pot with water and place the glass jars + rubber seals in there (or metal lids if that is what you prefer). Boil the jars for about 5-10 minutes to sterilize them. In the meantime prepare the mushrooms by heating them up together with salt and water (2 teaspoons of salt for 1 liter of water). When the jars are finished boiling, pick them out with some kind of clean tool, and place the rubber seal on the lid if that is the type of jar you have (careful it's going to be hot, and make sure you have clean hands!). Now fill the jars with mushrooms and make sure the liquid goes all the way to the top, and close the jars tightly. Put a towel in the large pot, and put the jars back in because now we are going to boil the jars again with the mushrooms inside, this will kill any living bacteria or mold spores inside the jar. It will be hermetically sealed. Let it boil lightly for at least an hour.

While the jars were boiling I took the time to color my hair (pictures will come later). Now it's nice and deep red again hehe. Then later my sister wanted me to come over and bleach her hair another time because the grown out hair still had yellow pigment left, while the rest (which has been bleached many times before) was being almost completely white. Even though we did it another time there's still some yellow pigment left.

Tomorrow I'm going on a day vacation to a small island called Grinda outside of Stockholm together with my mother and my middle sister.

Doesn't it look pretty? And I'm saving space in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment