Sunday, August 16, 2009

The gold of the forrest!

This morning my mother called me and asked if we wanted to go to my grandmothers country place! Toine was feeling tired and wasn't really up to it, but I didn't even think twice about it! It was my chance... my chance to collect some of the forests most precious treasures, "yellow chanterelle" (Cantharellus cibarius). I packed with me some papers for study in case I would have the time...

Anyway, I went there together with my parents and my middle sister. When I got there I noticed that the neighboring farm finally started using their land cause there was a new electrical fence right on the border to my grandmothers garden. I thought it was pretty fun and my grandmother also got handles on the fence behind the house so she could easily get past the fence and take a walk in the forest if she wanted to. My grandmother bought cookies and cake to celebrate my dad who had his birthday recently and after that it was time to go to new unexplored mushroom grounds.

At first I didn't have much luck in finding the pretty little mushrooms, I did however find a cute frog. My mother kept sending me pictures and message after message that she found more and more mushrooms. My dad picked his whole bucket full of the yellow gold, and I only had a few tiny small ones. It was getting annoying hearing about their luck all the time when mine clearly decided to go elsewhere. My luck didn't come until the last place we went to, there I was able to fill my bucket and I also found some "red-yellow trumpet mushroom"(Cantharellus lutescens) and some "tube chanterelle" (Cantharellus tubaeformis). When we got back to the house, the cows decided to pay us a visit, they were really pretty.

The mushrooms are now slowly boiling on my stove and then I will freeze them. Next time I will try conservation in a glass jar since my freezer is too tiny to keep the excessive amounts of mushrooms I'm planning on picking this autumn!

The mushrooms, ended up being 3 liters after it was cleaned and cut to nice pieces.


My sister took some pretty pictures in my grandmothers garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment